Thursday, January 22, 2015

Whole30 home stretch...Garlic lemon caper chicken

I am on day 22 of my second Whole30 which means I am in the home stretch. I'm through with all of the carb flu/sugar withdrawals and no longer craving chocolate. I am falling asleep earlier, sleeping more soundly, and waking up earlier feeling rested. My energy is higher and by default my house is cleaner...LOL. I have even started making my son's lunches with healthier options which he likes because they are more filling than the sandwich, chips, and applesauce that he has taken daily for many years.

Yesterday when it came time for me to make dinner I got a little flustered. I had been planning on making NomNomPaleo's Cracklin Chicken, but realized that the chicken thighs I bought were boneless and skinless and her recipe wouldn't be a good without the skin. So I had to think quickly to throw something else together utilizing those chicken thighs I had already defrosted. My dad makes an amazing baked dish featuring lemon caper chicken and rice. Being on the whole30, rice is out, but thinking about his yummy dish got the wheels turning and I came up with what is now my favorite meal. I love lemon and this chicken has such a good flavor and lemony kick. I didn't know I was going to share this recipe until after I tasted it, so I didn't take any pictures along the way...I didn't even write down the recipe at the time, but I believe I've remembered it correctly. ENJOY!!


Garlic Lemon Caper Chicken


Recipe by Sarah Golnik
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4-5 servings
Ingredients
  • 6-8 Boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 tsp or 3-4 cloves, minced garlic
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp ghee, melted
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth (bone broth preferred)
  • 1 tbsp capers
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • salt as needed
  • zest from half of a small lemon
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Coat baking dish with olive oil and then place the chicken thighs in the bottom of the dish evenly spaced apart.
  3. In a bowl combine the remaining ingredients, except for the ghee and lemon zest. Add the melted ghee last stirring quickly. If the other ingredients are too cold, the ghee will solidify again, but if you stir quickly it will be in evenly distributed tiny clumps. 
  4. Spoon mixture into the baking dish around the chicken thighs. Sprinkle the top with the lemon zest. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until chicken is no longer pink when you cut it.
  5. Serve over cauliflower rice or mashed potatoes using the juice from the dish as gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment