Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sweet Potato Bacon Burger Sliders


So last night was Saturday night and all I could think about was how good a burger and fries would taste. The creative juices got going and I came up with the most wonderful burger and the timing of the sweet potato buns worked out perfect with my oven zucchini fries.

I love bacon. I could eat it every day. Since I've started eating paleo, I've learned to no longer think of bacon as a side at breakfast, but have embraced it as a flavor enhancer...because let's face it...bacon makes everything better! The reason I needed dinner to be better was because I had been suffering from a migraine for three days and it finally went away right before I started preparing this. We haven't figured out what causes my migraines yet. Could be food, could be environmental, could be stress. They seem to happen so randomly though I have a hard time putting my finger on just what the cause is.

 Another thing I love about bacon is the grease it leaves behind as it is cooking. For this recipe I put it to good use and decided to use the grease from the cooking bacon to saute sweet onions. You can use yellow onions if that is what you have, but I think cooked sweet onions and bacon make for a great sweet/salty combination. At first I planned to put this combo on top of my burger, but then I figured it would fall off to easily. The solution was to put it in my burger!
 Time saver tip for the sweet potato buns: line your baking sheet with tin foil. If you are like me you probably have different size baking sheets and one of them is too big to fit in the dish washer. The solution is to line the baking sheet with tin foil. Once you are done, all you have to do is throw the foil away!


Sweet Potato Bacon Burger Sliders



For the bun:
2 fat sweet potatoes, cut into ½ inch slices (leave the skin on!)
1 tbs. melted ghee
Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper
For the burger:
½ sweet onion chopped
4 slices of bacon, uncooked, cut in to ¼ inch pieces
1 lb. lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 egg
¼ cup of almond flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried parsley
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place sweet potato slices on a non-stick baking sheet. Brush both sides with ghee. Add a sprinkling of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Bake 20-25 minutes flipping half way. They should be brown and slightly crispy.
While your sweet potato buns are baking, put the bacon in a skillet over high heat. Once the bacon generates enough grease, add the onion and continue cooking until the bacon is cooked and the onion is translucent. Drain excess grease and set to the side to allow to cool.
Mix the ground beef, egg, almond flour, garlic powder, parsley, cayenne pepper, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add bacon and onions. Mix thoroughly (I use my hands). Form in to patties slightly larger than the size of your sweet potato buns. Cook burgers on a grill or in a skillet 3-4 minutes per side.
Serve bacon burgers on the sweet potato buns with spinach leaves and your choice of condiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment